Chiropractic Adjustment in Anchorage and Juneau
For most folks, it begins with a Google search to get an idea of the nearby chiropractors in Anchorage or Juneau or they’re referred to Better Health Chiropractor & Physical Rehab by friends, family, work, other health providers, etc. What’s important is that you do your homework and choose a trained provider whom you trust. As a discipline, chiropractic is complex with varying philosophies, approaches, and techniques. Don’t be afraid to call or stop by and interview us! Also, find a clinic where you feel comfortable, and a chiropractor who’s not only gifted with spines and joints but enjoys working with people.
What Is Chiropractic Care?
Chiropractic care is typically a drug-free, non-surgical form of health care focused on employing chiropractic adjustment techniques to correct misalignments, relieve pressure from vertebrae/discs, reduce pain and inflammation, and help the body heal itself naturally – the goal being a restoration of proper nerve impulse and nutrient and water transmission.
What Is a Chiropractic Adjustment?
A chiropractic adjustment helps correct subluxations in the spine. During an adjustment, your chiropractic physician applies gentle force to the affected area, restoring proper position, motion, and nerve flow – safe and painless. Afterward, the vast majority of new patients feel pain relief and improved mobility. Done regularly, even in the absence of symptoms, chiropractic treatment aids the spine in becoming healthier and more flexible, and it can even slow the deterioration of the spine and discs.
What Health Conditions Does Chiropractic Adjustment/Care Treat?
Since we’re talking about the spine, as it relates to your overall central nervous system, there’s a pretty long list – arthritis, back pain, neck pain, scoliosis, stenosis, back pain, whiplash, and so on. Below we’ll briefly look at a few, but feel free to visit our Conditions Treated by Chiropractors page to dig deeper.
Better Health Chiropractic Clinic Locations
Types of Chiropractic Adjustments
- Chiropractic Ear Adjustment: An old and effective technique to help deal with numerous conditions involving the ears and head – ear infection, aches, sinus issues, vertigo, etc.
- Chiropractic Neck Adjustment: Also known as cervical manipulation, gentle force is applied by your chiropractor to restore mobility, relieve pressure/tension, and reduce pain.
- Chiropractic Adjustment Hip: Whether caused by overuse or trauma, once the source of pain is identified, hip adjustments aim to reduce inflammation and restore mobility.
- Chiropractic Adjustment for Shoulder Pain: Typically used to reduce pain from inflammation and muscle spasms involving the shoulder joints.
- Chiropractic Foot Adjustment: Used to improve any misaligned foot bones that result in foot pain and/or cramps – common for athletes, and folks who work on their feet.
- Chiropractic Adjustment for Scoliosis: Adjustments may be used to treat symptoms of scoliosis (inflammation, numbness, pain) and help restore proper spinal curvature.
- Pubic Bone Chiropractic Adjustment: Used to address misalignments between the three primary joints of the pelvis – two upper sacroiliac joints and pubis symphysis.
- Chiropractic Sacroiliac Joint Adjustment: There are a variety of methods to treat sacroiliac joint pain, so chiropractors will first figure out which you respond best to.
- Chiropractic Adjustment for Vertigo: When the cause of vertigo isn’t serious, for example, as a result of a stroke or tumors, this adjustment gets rid of the dizziness.
- Chiropractic Adjustment for Hiatal Hernia: Typically involves realigning rib cage and thoracic spine vertebral subluxations to remove or manage any nerve interference or impedance.
- Chiropractic Knee Adjustment: These adjustments address sore or injured knee joints and the surrounding soft tissue to mobilize everything into proper alignment.
- Chiropractic Leg Adjustment: A bit generalized, but these adjustments focus on the hip, knee, ankle, and foot joints as well as all that muscle and soft tissue involved.
- Chiropractic Care for TMJ: The jaw? Yep. Chiropractors are specialists at correcting bone misalignments, relaxing muscles, adjusting joints, and so on to reduce discomfort and restore proper function.
Schedule an Appointment and Receive
FREE One-Hour Massage Certificate
That’s right! Receive a certificate for a free one-hour massage with our highly-trained and licensed massage therapists for use after your first appointment. Use it yourself, or give it to a friend.
What Are the Benefits of Chiropractic Care?
After a chiropractic adjustment, most patients feel pain relief and improved mobility. Done regularly, even in the absence of symptoms, chiropractic treatment will aid the spine in becoming healthier and more flexible, and it can even slow the deterioration of the spine.
✓ Pain relief
✓ Increased mobility
✓ Reduced muscle spasms
✓ Improved posture
✓ Slowed development of arthritis
✓ Reduced chance of injury or re-injury
How Safe are Chiropractic Adjustments?
Or, in a more general sense, is chiropractic care safe? Yes, it’s considered safe primarily because it’s non-surgical unless we’re talking about surgical spinal decompression surgeries or something similar. Is everyone happy with their care? No. Do some people experience side effects of spinal manipulation? Of course, we’ll look at them briefly below.
Chiropractic Adjustment Side Effects
- Pain after Chiropractic Adjustment: Some experience slight discomfort directly after sessions that typically doesn’t last more than 24 hours.
- Tired after Chiropractic Adjustment: When you realign your spine, your central nervous system must react and adapt, and this commonly causes tiredness.
- Sore/Soreness after Chiropractic Adjustment: This is very common, but minimal. If there’s excessive pain or soreness, new treatments, approaches,positions, etc. are considered.
- Headache after Chiropractic Adjustment: Avoid ingesting drugs, alcohol, or powerful medications (if possible) before adjustments. A headache may be an indication of misalignments the chiropractor needs to give more attention.
- Severe Pain after Chiropractic Adjustment: While this is uncommon, it does happen, usually with folks who are already dealing with more serious and painful spinal issues.
- Nausea after Chiropractic Adjustment: Also known as toxic release, adjustments can release toxins into the body, similar to how weight lifting does from muscle tissue. Remember to drink plenty of water!
- Dizzy/Dizziness after Chiropractic Adjustment: When head or neck trauma is involved, occasionally people experience dizziness after an adjustment. Usually short-lived and minimal, but can potentially be a symptom of lingering misalignments.
- Severe Lower Back Pain after Chiropractic Adjustment: If you’ve just had your lumbar region addressed through lumbar adjustment, it can cause pain. If the pain is severe, contact your chiropractor immediately.
- Vertigo after Chiropractic Adjustment: Uncommon, but can happen when the inner ear reacts to a new spinal alignment. Typically treated easily without medication.
- Abdominal Pain after Chiropractic Adjustment: When there’s abdominal pain after an adjustment, it’s typically associated with IBS or irritable bowel syndrome. If more serious underlying issues come to light, these must be addressed.
Does it Work? Is it Effective?
This is probably the most common question any chiropractic clinic gets. Well, there’s no universal answer, as is the case with any medical discipline whether “mainstream” or alternative. The question is, will it work for you and your specific condition/body? There really is no way to know that beforehand, but based on millions upon millions of patients and many long years of practice and research, the chances are good that you’ll experience some of the benefits of chiropractic adjustments.
Who Needs Chiropractic Care?
At Better Health Alaska clinics we treat people from all walks of life; from teachers to construction workers; from small children to the elderly. The question is whether YOU or someone you love and care about could benefit. If you’re curious about chiropractic care during pregnancy or chiropractic care for babies/infants, or just children and chiropractic care in general, please contact us and we’ll fill you in.
How Long does a Chiropractic Adjustment Take?
Great question! It depends on what you’re addressing, how far along you are in your treatment, your age (once past middle-age, the body tends to respond slower to chiropractic adjustments), and a bunch of other variables. Generally speaking we try to get people in, adjusted, and out in as long as it takes to accomplish our goals, but of course there are those who want to stay longer because it feels good!
How Often Should You Get Chiropractic Adjustments?
At Better Health Alaska we believe you should get as many chiropractic adjustments as you need and are comfortable with. We’ll be very upfront, collaborate with any other providers you may have, and take a team-based approach to getting you feeling better and elevating your quality of life. If that happens after your first visit, great! If it’s going to take a few months, and 20+ visits, we’re here for you. How many adjustments you receive will be up to you.
Neck Disability Index
Back Disability Index
Shoulder Disability Index
Headache Disability Index
How Many Chiropractic Adjustments are Needed?
In general, folks see positive results after the first 2 to 3 visits. Another generality is that if we’re talking about non-complex musculoskeletal conditions, most experience a roughly 40-80% reduction in pain/symptoms with 1-4 weeks. It depends on you and your treatment program, which we believe should be multi-faceted if needed and incorporate elements of massage therapy and/or physical rehab.
Cost/Price of Chiropractic Care/Chiropractic Adjustment?
Better Health Chiropractic doesn’t try to charge any more or less than anyone else in Alaska but are typical for our areas in Anchorage, Wasilla, and Juneau. We accept hundreds of different kinds of insurance, and the costs of our chiropractic care are significantly less than the cost of serious surgical procedures without the lengthy recovery times. We aim for affordable functional rehabilitation that sticks and provides better outcomes.
Does My Insurance Cover Chiropractic Care?
While it’s impossible to answer in this FAQs section, we’d love to check for you! Simply complete the custom form on our Check My Insurance page. We’ll contact your provider, find out the details, and report back. Here are some of the providers we currently work with.
- Obama care
- United Healthcare
How Can I Schedule an Appointment for Chiropractic Adjustment/Care?
So glad you asked! Our chiropractic care, massage therapy, and rehabilitation therapy clinics are easy and conveniently placed around Alaska. Below we’ll break down how to get started with us into three simple options:
- If you already know which of our Alaskan chiropractic clinic locations is closest to home, or work, simply give us a call and we’ll get you quickly scheduled in.
- You can also request an appointment digitally through our website.
- For new patients, you can download, print out and prepare new patient paperwork.
Schedule an Appointment, Receive a One-Hour Massage Certificate!
That’s right! Receive a certificate for a free one-hour massage with one of our highly-trained, professional, and licensed massage therapists for use after your first appointment. You can use it yourself, or give it to one of your family or friends for them to use!
Related Blog Posts:
- 19 Secrets Your Chiropractor Probably Won’t Talk About (#5- Who Knew?)
- 11 Secrets to Getting the Best Anchorage Chiropractic Care
- Chiropractic Care for Whiplash
- 7 Preparation Tips for Your First Chiropractic Appointment
- Chiropractic: Better for Neck Pain Than Other Therapies
- 8 Unbelievable Things about What Chiropractic Adjustments Actually Feel Like
- Chiropractic From the Feet Up: How Your Feet Impact Your Whole Body
- 5 Treatments You Want to Make Sure Your Anchorage Chiropractor Does
- Weighing the Pros & Cons of Massage Therapy after Chiropractic Treatment in Wasilla
- 5 Facts about Chiropractic Neck Adjustments the Media Won’t Tell You
- How Can Chiropractic Help TMJ? What You Need to Know
- 5 Myths about Children and Chiropractic Care Everyone Thinks is True
- How the DRS System Treats Low Back Pain
- 5 Things No One Told You About Hip Adjustments
- Top 5 Things Every Weightlifter Should Know about Chiropractic Care