- Poor sleep
- Frequent colds or bouts with the flu
- Low Energy
There Are AlternativesThe clear majority of people believe chiropractic adjustment benefits are only for back problems, neck pain, and issues with the lower back. While chiropractors DO help people with those issues, it is certainly not the ONLY thing they do. Besides relieving back and neck pain through chiropractic adjustments, your chiropractor also uses other techniques to improve overall health, including:
- Chiropractic massage
- Ergonomic training and advice
- Posture training
- Gait training
- Exercise advice and education
- Yoga therapy
- Hot or cold therapies
- Advice or instructions on proper technique for heavy lifting
- Nutritional advice
- Advice regarding supplements
- Referrals to other health care professionals when needed
Your Juneau Chiropractor has 5 New Ways to Help You Think of Chiropractic Care DifferentlyLet’s think outside the low-back box and see all how comprehensive chiropractic care can make a difference in your life.
1) Improved Immune SystemThose who suffer from frequent colds, coughs, or bouts with the flu often wonder what makes them different from friends or family who do not get the same number of viral infections they do. More than likely, it’s their immune system. What chiropractic care can do for low back pain it can also do for the immune system; improve the communication by removing blocked signals. A study performed in 1989 found that those who received chiropractic care had an improved immune response increase of as much as 200%. Imagine being 200% stronger? Now apply that to your immune system. Pretty astounding! Subluxations of the spine weaken the immune response by blocking signals to the immune system that there is a problem and it needs to respond. By removing the blockage, the immune system is restored to proper function and can fight off disease and viruses. We can’t avoid viruses entirely, but we can help our body respond to these invaders quickly by keeping the lines of communication open through adjustments.
2) Improve Quality of SleepA lack of quality sleep leads to so many more health problems than being cranky the next morning. Chiropractic care has far more pros than cons and improving your quality of sleep is one of them. Consider the following consequences of a lack of sleep: ✓ Memory issues ✓ High blood pressure ✓ Weight gain ✓ Higher risk for diabetes ✓ Lower sex drive ✓ Poor Balance ✓ Higher risk of heart disease ✓ More frequent feelings of depression and/or anxiety Your body needs sleep just as much as it does air, food, and water. This is when your body heals itself and restores the delicate chemical balance. Chronic insomnia disrupts how your body processes information. Without the proper chemical balance, your brain does not function as it should. You can improve the quality of the sleep you get with chiropractic care. By correcting misalignments in the spine and removing any blocked signals, as well as releasing stress and tension, your body and mind are free to relax and fall asleep. You can remove tensions, stress, and pain through chiropractic adjustments, allowing the body to fall asleep and stay asleep because you are comfortable and relaxed.
3) Non-Pharmaceutical Pain ReliefPerhaps one of the best parts about chiropractic care is that it is natural, non-invasive, and uses no pharmaceutical drugs. Depending on the type of pain a person is having, different methods will be used, but none require painkilling drugs. To better understand this, it’s important to understand how adjustments work to relieve pain. The nervous system of the body controls almost every single function that your body performs day in and day out, even those you aren’t aware of. This is why paraplegics cannot walk; the nerves in the spinal cord at one point are damaged or cut. Since the muscles are not receiving signals, they cannot move the legs. When the spinal column is out of alignment, it blocks the nerves from sending and/or receiving clear signals. Sometimes, this results in pain or other health issues. The founder of chiropractic care, David Palmer, was studying the idea that a misalignment of the spine could lead to various health issues when he noticed a janitor who had a lump in his spine. The man told Palmer that one day, after he picked up something and hearing a “popping” type of noise in his back, he suddenly went almost completely deaf. Palmer performed the first chiropractic adjustment, putting that out of position vertebrae back into the proper place. The janitor smiled as he said he could hear again! Stopping pain without drugs can be performed in a similar manner. By removing the blocked signals through spinal manipulation, painful areas can be brought back to proper position and other types of pain, such as headaches, can be stopped. Not a single pill required! This isn’t to say that your chiropractor might suggest a diet high in anti-inflammatory foods or supplements to help stop the pain that inflammation causes, but these should not be confused with pharmaceutical drugs, which cause harm to the digestive system and liver.
4) Reduce StressStress is an everyday part of our lives. To understand stress, let’s look at the three different ways our bodies perceive stress:
5) Improved Level of Activity/EnergyPerhaps one of the biggest complaints about our daily lives is that we don’t have enough energy to complete all our tasks, let alone our desires, in a given day. Everyone wants to be active and feel energized as they go about their day, but if you are feeling like you are dragging yourself through the day, it’s time to take a good hard look at your health. Chiropractic care and adjustments reduces the pressure on the central nervous system, allowing the energy of the body to flow freely to all parts. A misalignment in the joints of the spine will reduce the time it takes for messages to be sent and received, leaving you feeling slow and lethargic. Adjustments increase the metabolism of the body, naturally increasing energy levels. Open pathways of communication allow the brain to send signals to every cell, without interruption. Depending on your unique situation, your chiropractor in Juneau might also suggest a different diet plan and/or supplements to help improve both mind and body, so you have more than enough energy to sail through life, rather than be dragged along. We would like to encourage you to call your chiropractor in Juneau for a checkup and see what better health awaits you with regular chiropractic care.
About the Author
Dr. Brent Wells, D.C. founded Better Health Chiropractic & Physical Rehab and has been a chiropractor for over 20 years. His practice has treated thousands of patients from different health problems using services designed to help give long-lasting relief.
Dr. Wells is also the author of over 700 online health articles that have been featured on sites such as Dr. Axe, Organic Facts, and Thrive Global. He is a proud member of the American Chiropractic Association and the American Academy of Spine Physicians. And he continues his education to remain active and updated in all studies related to neurology, physical rehab, biomechanics, spine conditions, brain injury trauma, and more.