WHAT TO EXPECT ON YOUR FIRST VISIT
What To Expect At Your Chiropractor Appointment
If you’ve never seen a chiropractor before, it’s natural to wonder what to expect. While each patient’s experience is different based on their specific condition and needs, here is some basic information.
The purpose of your initial consultation with your chiropractor is to discuss your health issues and goals. We ask questions and listen carefully to find out how we can best help you. Then, we complete a thorough examination to help identify the cause of your problem. This examination often includes:
- Checking your blood pressure, respiration and pulse
- Muscle strength tests
- Range of motion tests
- Hands-on evaluation of the affected area, including skin, muscles, tendons, etc.
- Posture analysis
- Neurological tests, including reflexes and sensation
- Orthopedic tests
Additional diagnostic tests are also sometimes needed to provide an accurate diagnosis. These may include:
- Lab tests, including blood work, urinalysis, etc.
- MRI or CAT scans
In some cases, we may provide a referral to a specialist, such as a neurologist, rheumatologist, surgeon, etc. Following the examination, most patients begin some sort of therapy during their first visit. Complete results of your examination are usually compiled and available by the next business day.
Your Second Visit
During your second visit to any one of our chiropractic offices in Alaska, we will discuss your examination and test results and make treatment recommendations customized for your particular problem. This will include a written treatment plan which will detail:
- Your diagnosis
- Factors that are aggravating your condition
- Therapies to be used; these may include chiropractic care, rehabilitative therapy, massage therapy, or other treatments
- Cause of your problem
- Frequency and length of care
- Short-term and long-term goals
Your Follow-Up Visits
During your follow-up visits we may:
- Use appropriate therapies, including chiropractic care, rehabilitative therapy, massage therapy, or other treatments like traction, ultrasound, diathermy or ultrasound, to facilitate healing and reduce or eliminate pain
- Build flexibility and strength in painful or injured areas by having you complete rehabilitation exercises in the office on specialized machines
- Demonstrate home exercises to improve muscles balance, strength, and coordination
- Provide education to improve posture and motor control
Schedule an Appointment, Receive a One-Hour Massage Certificate!
That’s right! Receive a certificate for a free one-hour massage with one of our highly-trained, professional, and licensed massage therapists for use after your first appointment. You can use it yourself, or give it to one of your family or friends for them to use!